The Centre for Environmental Rights invites you to join the launch of the Financing Fairly Case Study which considers whether the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) is a responsible investor.
This report, which follows CER’s Financing Fairly Report launched in May 2020, considers the policies and practice of the IDC in reference to a loan provided by the IDC to MC Mining Limited, a JSE listed coal mining firm, for the development of its Makhado Project in Limpopo.
Date: Tuesday, 06 July 2021
Time: 10h00 – 11h30 (SAST)
Where: Zoom Meeting
This webinar is over and registration has expired.
The IDC can play a crucial role in financing a fair, equitable, and sustainable future for South Africa. It holds the potential to attract private investment and drive structural economic change in support of industries that create jobs, reduce inequality, and realise sustainable industrial development.
However, the IDC’s loan to coal mining company, MC Mining, which is positioned to be a key coal supplier to the contentious Musina-Makhado Special Economic Zone in Limpopo, raises questions about the IDC’s ability to support sustainable industrial development.
Does the IDC’s risky investment expose public funds to coal mining activities that pose significant social, environmental and climate change harm?
These and other questions will be considered by key civil society and community-based organisations working to challenge public finance for fossil fuels as well as the impacts of coal mining in Limpopo.
|10h00 – 10h10||Welcome and Introduction
Leanne Govindsamy, Centre for Environmental Rights
|10h10 – 10h35||Presentation of Report Findings
Daiyaan Halim, Centre for Environmental Rights
|10h35 – 11h30||Panel Discussion and Q&A
Moderator: Leanne Govindsamy (CER)
About The Panelists
- Leanne Govindsamy – Head of Corporate Accountability & Transparency at the Centre for Environmental Rights
- David Tshidzumba – Environmentalist at Save Our Limpopo Valley Environment
- Kees Kode – International Coordinator at Fair Finance Guide International
- Robert Krause – Legal Researcher at the Centre for Applied Legal Studies
- Alia Kajee – Public Finance Campaigner at 350Africa.org
- Daiyaan Halim – Researcher at the Centre for Environmental Rights