This position has now been filled.
Advertised on our website on 12 May 2017
Closing date for applications: 5 June 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Starting in 2017, the Centre is incubating a new activist organisation, Just Share SA, aimed at promoting good corporate citizenship by driving responsible investment in South Africa. Just Share SA’s objective will be to stimulate active ownership and responsible investment by shareholders, to force companies to internalise the values of corporate citizenship, and to end impunity for companies which conduct business in an unlawful, unsustainable or exploitative manner. It will do this by conducting research and analysis of corporate conduct, by collating and consolidating civil society corporate accountability information to support social justice campaigns, and by supporting, facilitating and participating in stakeholder engagement with investors and companies.
The Centre is looking for a suitably qualified expert consultant to lead the incubation of Just Share SA over an approximately 12 month period.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Financial and/or legal background, and at least 10 years’ relevant experience. Previous experience in establishment of non-profit organisations is preferable, but not essential.
- Solid understanding of the South African social justice landscape and of the impact of the investment system on society and the environment, and a conviction that responsible investment can drive positive change.
- Strong communication and networking skills, and commitment to collaboration.
- Willingness to engage with and learn from the experience of others, and to support and amplify the work of partner organisations.
- Strong strategic planning, research and analysis skills.
Key responsibilities, with support from the Centre
- Managing start-up administration for Just Share SA, including NPC, NPO & PBO registration and associated tasks.
- Researching and consulting partners on pilot projects for FairShareSA, and commence implementation.
- Development of initial strategic and organisational plan, and recruitment of staff.
- Communication with key partners and audiences, and stakeholder collaboration.
- Establishment of website and social media presence.
- Development of monitoring and evaluation indicators.
- Liaising with and reporting to donors.
The fee for this 12 month consultancy will be negotiated with the successful candidate.