Advertised on our website on 13 March 2017.
Based in Cape Town or Johannesburg. Closing date for applications: 3 April 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Centre is looking for an attorney to join our Pollution & Climate Change programme. This position is for an attorney with a passion for environmental rights and justice, particularly in relation to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental and health impacts of coal-based energy generation.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification, plus a tertiary qualification in environmental law
- Admission as attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Post-qualification experience in High Court litigation, particularly Constitutional and administrative law (experience in environmental litigation will be an advantage)
- A sound knowledge of the law applicable to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental and health impacts of coal-based energy generation
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs, and a commitment to high quality client service
- Strong communication and networking skills, and commitment to collaboration.
- Proficiency in isiZulu would be an advantage.
- Providing hands-on expert legal advice, support and representation to the Centre’s clients, including grassroots communities, community networks and civil society organisations, on matters related to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental and health impacts of coal-based energy generation.
- Leading litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft environmental policies and legislation.
- Facilitating the uploading of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
- Training and overseeing the work of legal interns and candidate attorneys at the Centre.
The Centre for Environmental Rights benchmarks its salaries for the public interest law sector. The salary offered will be dependent on the qualifications, skills and level of experience of the successful candidate, but will fall within the range R275 000-R400 000 per annum (total cost to company).
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.