This position has now been filled.
Advertised on our website on 6 August 2014.
Based in Cape Town. Closing date for applications: 31 August 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Centre for Environmental Rights is looking for a bright, energetic and passionate professional to become its first Operations Manager. We are looking for someone with a strong accounting background who can take primary responsibility for financial management and bookkeeping, but who can also oversee all corporate and administrative aspects of the organisation: human resource administration, operational contract management, and IT support coordination and other asset infrastructure. We would like to employ someone who is passionate about environmental and social justice, and who will take pride in being a key member of the team at the CER.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A postgraduate business degree, preferably a business management qualification or a professional accounting qualification (but we will consider other relevant or appropriate qualifications)
- A minimum of 5 years’ working experience
- Computer proficiency, knowledge and skills, including proficiency in Pastel and standard payroll packages
- Excellent written and spoken English, with additional languages an advantage
- Experience in strategic planning, HR and financial management practices
- Excellent people and networking skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Complete reliability, and ability to take initiative to improve systems and practices and attention to detail
- A commitment to high quality client service, and a passion for social and environmental justice
- Ensuring that the Centre’s financial policies are implemented
- Managing banking, payments and cash flow
- Monitoring expenses against budgets
- Bookkeeping and liaison with auditors
- Administration of human resources, staff well-being and mentoring
- Managing IT support coordination and other asset infrastructure
- Operational contract management
- Support for the Centre’s reporting to the Board, members and funders
The salary offered will be dependent on the level of experience of the successful candidate. For this position we will consider part-time employment, but not a consultancy.