Member of the Board of the Environmental Justice Fund
The closing date (13 August 2021) has passed and applications for this position are now closed.
The Environmental Justice Fund is a new fund whose vision is that environmental justice prevails in South Africa, where all people enjoy an environment which is not harmful to their health and wellbeing, and the environment is protected for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Fund acknowledges that supporting those most affected by environmental injustice to design and implement their own responses, is our best chance of reversing the tide of environmental destruction and building a better, sustainable and just world. The Fund therefore supports the CBOs that drive these campaigns to be sustainable, accountable, agile, resilient, creative and networked into the broader environmental justice movement in South Africa.
The Fund invites interested and suitably qualified candidates to join this exciting initiative at its inception by applying to be a member of the Board.
Qualifications, skills and experience
Applicants must be committed to promoting and defending the role of community organisations and activists in realising environmental justice. Prior experience in the environmental justice sector is not a pre-requisite.
The Fund is committed to the highest standards of governance, and to a board of directors which has the appropriate balance of knowledge, skills, experience, diversity and independence to enable it to discharge its governance roles and responsibility objectively and effectively.
The appointed directors should possess the qualifications, skills, expertise and commitment which will support the Fund in achieving its objectives. Suitably qualified candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas of expertise, are encouraged to apply:
- Community activism;
- Financial management and audit requirements;
- Fundraising expertise and experience;
- Strategic communications and/or public relations;
- Board membership of non-profit companies; and/or
- Academic credentials in the areas of financial management, environmental law and governance, public interest law and/or social justice.
The Fund is committed to diversity, inclusion and transformation and strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural, gender and geographic diversity. Women and young people are particularly encouraged to apply.
The primary purpose of the Board is to provide political guidance, governance and oversight of the Fund. The key responsibilities of Board members are:
- developing the strategic direction of the Fund;
- monitoring the Fund’s activities to ensure that it continues to work to meet its strategic objectives;
- overseeing the work of the Grant Committee;
- approving the Fund’s annual budget and reviewing biannual reports on spending against budget;
- signing off on the annual audit of the Fund’s financial statements;
- supporting the Director in ensuring that the Fund is adequately resourced to meet its strategic objectives;
- assessing risks to the Fund and ensuring that adequate risk management measures are in place; and
- ensuring that the Fund complies with all applicable regulatory requirements.
A comprehensive induction will be conducted to ensure that all members of the Board are equipped to perform their responsibilities.
Board members usually serve a term of four years, with the possibility of extension.
This position is not remunerated, but all reasonable and agreed travel expenses will be covered by the Fund.
How to apply
To apply for either position, please send:
- a covering letter explaining your interest in the Fund and why you think you could contribute to the work of the Fund. Your cover letter should also give the contact details of two referees (people who know you well and can confirm your skills and character); and
- your CV
to Joan Cameron at [email protected] Please specify that you are applying for a position as a Board member in both your covering letter and the subject line of your email.
If you are a community activist and would like some help preparing your application, please call Matome Kapa on (072) 487-9567 or Joan Cameron (082) 459-4626.