Corporate Accountability Investigator
Reference No: CER 3/2017
The closing date (16 August 2017) has passed and applications for this position are now closed.
The Centre is looking for an Investigator to join our Corporate Accountability team. The suitable candidate will have a background in finance, corporate law or financial journalism, a passion for environmental rights and justice, and a keen interest in the potential for the investment system to hold companies to account and drive social change.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Based in Cape Town or Johannesburg
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A qualification and/or experience in finance and/or financial journalism. Lawyers with relevant experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Solid understanding of the South African social justice landscape and of the impact of the investment system on society and the environment.
- Understanding of the potential for responsible investment to drive positive change.
- Understanding of corporate governance, disclosure and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of sustainable and responsible investment initiatives.
- Strong research and analysis skills.
- Commitment to high quality client service.
- Conducting financial and legal research in support of our work on corporate accountability and environmental justice, aimed at compelling greater disclosure of and accountability for environmental impacts by the business sector through both incentives and enforcement.
- Supporting engagement with the investor community and other market role players like the JSE and industry associations, and with leading corporates.
- Assisting with the recording and sharing of learning for systemic change.
The Centre for Environmental Rights benchmarks its salaries for the public interest law sector. The salary offered will be dependent on the qualifications, skills and level of experience of the successful candidate, but will fall within the range R350 000-R400 000 per annum (total cost to company).