Attorney in our Pollution & Climate Change Programme
Reference No: CER 6/2014
The closing date (31 October 2014) has passed and applications for this position are now closed.
The Centre is looking for a third attorney to join our Pollution & Climate Change programme. This position is for an attorney with a passion for environmental rights and justice, particularly in relation to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental impacts of coal-based energy generation.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Based in Cape Town
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification, plus a tertiary qualification in environmental law
- Admission as attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Post-qualification experience in High Court litigation, particularly Constitutional and administrative law (experience in environmental litigation will be an advantage)
- A sound knowledge of the law applicable to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental impacts of coal-based energy generation
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs, and a commitment to high quality client service
- Providing hands-on expert legal advice, support and representation to the Centre’s clients, including communities and civil society organisations, on matters related to industrial pollution, waste, climate change and environmental justice, with a special focus on the environmental impacts of coal-based energy generation.
- Providing support in litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft environmental policies and legislation.
- Facilitating the upload of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
- Training and overseeing the work of legal interns and candidate attorneys at the Centre.
The salary offered will be dependent on the level of experience of the successful candidate.