groundWork and VEM’s Section 24 challenge (Deadly Air Litigation)
A key aim of the Life After Coal campaign is to reduce polluting emissions from existing coal infrastructure and encourage a coal-phase out. An essential part of this campaign is to highlight the way in which the pollution from coal and other industries is affecting the health of ordinary people, particularly those living in Mpumalanga and Gauteng.
In June 2019, after many years of advocacy, groundWork and the Vukani Environmental Movement, represented by the Centre for Environmental Rights, launched Constitutional litigation to request the Court to acknowledge that the poor ambient air quality in the Highveld Priority Area constitutes a violation of the right to an environment not harmful to health or well-being, and to order the government to promulgate regulations to give effect to the Highveld Air Quality Management Plan.
The hearing in the Deadly Air matter has been set down for 17 – 19 May 2021.
- Notice of Motion
- Rule 16A Notice
- Founding Affidavit
- Confirmatory Affidavit of Promise Mabilo
- Confirmatory Affidavit of Thomas Mnguni
- Rule 30A Application (Index, Notice of Motion and Founding Affidavit)
- Amended Notice of Motion (Rule 53(4)) (10 July 2020)
- Supplementary Founding Affidavit (10 July 2020)
- Confirmatory Affidavit of Timothy Lloyd (12 July 2020)
- Notice of Opposition by Respondent (23 September 2020)
- Court directions (11 November 2020)
- Notice of Set Down (hearing from 17 – 19 May 2021)
Amicus Application: UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment
- Notice of Motion – UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment- David Boyd
- Amicus Admission Application Part 1
- Amicus Admission Application Part 2
- Amicus Admission Application Part 3
- Amicus Admission Application Part 4
- Amicus Admission Application Part 5
- Court order admitting David Boyd as amicus (5 November 2020)