Application to Compel Reasons for the Integrated Resource Plan for Electricity (IRP)
This is an application filed by groundWork against the Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy and the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA). groundWork is asking the Court to order the Minister and NERSA to provide reasons for various decisions in relation to the Integrated Resource Plan for Electricity (IRP), which was published in October 2019.
groundWork has been asking for reasons from the parties for its decisions in relation to the IRP since November 2019. As this exercise of public power by the Minister and NERSA regarding South Africa’s electricity plan has a material and direct impact on the rights of the people of South Africa, groundWork argues it is entitled to the reasons for the decisions to promulgate the IRP.
- Notice of Motion and Founding Affidavit of RM Mokgalaka (23 July 2020)
- Notice to Oppose: Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy (24 August 2020)
- Notice to Oppose: NERSA (15 October 2020)
- Answering Affidavit: Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy (22 October 2020)
- Answering Affidavit: NERSA (unsigned)
- Notice of Withdrawal of Application by groundWork (16 February 2021)
- Cancel Coal Rule30A application judgment