2021: Comment on draft regulations pertaining to Financial Provisioning for the Rehabilitation and Remediation of Environmental Damage caused by Reconnaissance, Prospecting, Exploration, Mining or Production Operations
On 6 October 2021 the Centre for Environmental Rights submitted comments to the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment on Proposed Regulations Pertaining to Financial Provisioning for the Mitigation and Rehabilitation of Environmental Damage caused by Reconnaissance, Prospecting, Exploration, Mining or Production Operations published in GN 764 in GG 45058 of 27 August 2021 (the 2021 Draft Financial Provisioning Regulations).
The comments were submitted on behalf of the following civil society organisations:
- The Centre for Environmental Rights1 (CER);
- The Centre for Applied Legal Studies 2 (CALS);
- The Federation for a Sustainable Environment3 (FSE);
- Lawyers for Human Rights4 (LHR);
- Endangered Wildlife Trust5 (EWT);
- Mining and Environmental Justice Community Network of South Africa6 (MEJCON); and
- Khuthala environmental Activist group, Ermelo (Khuthala).