Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Amendment Bill, 2013
In December 2012, the Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) published the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Draft Amendment Bill for comment. The Centre for Environmental rights submitted comments on the draft bill in February 2013.
The Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Amendment Bill was introduced to Parliament in June 2013. The CER submitted comments on the Bill to the National Assembly’s Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources in September 2013.
The Bill was passed by the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces. However, the President did not assent to the Bill as he had some reservations about the constitutionality of the Bill. He therefore remitted the Bill back to Parliament to consider his reservations. One of his reservations was that there was inadequate public participation in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP). The NCOP therefore had to conduct public participation. The CER also submitted comments to the NCOP on the Draft Bill in March 2017.
- The Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Draft Amendment Bill, 2012 (Draft Bill)
- CER’s submissions to the Department of Mineral Resources on the Draft Bill (8 February 2013)
- The Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Amendment Bill, 2013 (Bill)
- CER’s submissions to Parliament on the Bill (6 September 2013):
- The Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Amendment Bill, 2013 as approved by the National Assembly in 2014
- The President’s Reservations about the Constitutionality of the Bill (16 January 2015)
- An amended version of the Bill before the NCOP and additional proposed amendments
- CER’s comments to the NCOP (22 March 2017)