Request to Eskom on the proposed Mokolo Crocodile Water Augmentation Project Phase 2a – Medupi & Matimba Coal Plant & Related Infrastructure Water Requirements
15 December 2021
- Reference Number:
- Records received
- Copies of all technical studies on SO2 abating technologies proposed for Medupi power station.
- Copies of any responses to Requests for Proposals prepared and published to obtain proposals for various SO2 abating technology, including the requests for proposals.
- Records indicating the number of units of Medupi that are currently online and the projected end of life date for Medupi.
- Records of the current and projected water requirements for Eskom’s Medupi and Matimba power stations and associated infrastructure for the duration of the anticipated lifespan of each facility.
- Records relating to all water supply arrangements with the Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) and/or other suppliers for both Medupi and Matimba power station.
- Records of any agreements and technical studies recording the planned and intended water supply from the Mokolo Crocodile Water Augmentation Project Phase 2A (“MCWAP-2”) to Eskom’s Matimba and Medupi power stations.
- Records of any current and projected costs, and price, paid or to be paid by Eskom for the MCWAP-2 project and water supply to Eskom.
- Any records such as board meeting minutes, plans and strategy reports and Medupi Flue-gas desulfurization retrofitting.
- Any updated Environmental Impact Assessment Report for the Medupi FGD Retrofit Project.
- Any studies conducted in the Lephalale area into the impacts of sulphur deposition on vegetation and/or soil.
Response from Eskom
On 7 February 2022, the CER received a response from Eskom as well as the following attachments:
- Attachment A – Responses to CER PAIA request 15 Dec 2021_
- Attachment B – MCWAP Pre-Feasibility Report Water Requirements
- Attachment C – Post-Feasibility Bridging Study Review Report 2015
- Attachment D – MCWAP Feasibility Report – Main Summary Report
On 7 April 2022, Eskom supplemented their PAIA record with the following documents:
- Eskom response 07 April 2022
- Appendix A- Direct Sorbent Injection Feasibility Study
- Appendix B – Medupi FGD Technology Study Report
- Appendix C Briefing Note – Interim SO2 reduction strategy – Medupi DSI
On 23 April 2022, Eskom further supplemented their PAIA record with the following documents:
- Eskom Response 23 May 2022
- Attachment A: Medupi FGD RFI Evaluation Report
- Attachment B: Medupi FGD Extract of Board Minutes held on 12 June 2018
- Attachment C: Medupi FGD Extract of Board Minutes held on 28 October 2020
- Attachment D: Medupi FGD Extract of Board Minutes held on 30 June 2021
- Attachment E – Power point presentation on Medupi FGD to the World Bank
- Attachment F: Medupi FGD Strategy Report 14 June 2021
For further information please email [email protected].