18 August 2021
- Reference Number:
On 18 August 2021 the CER submitted a PAIA Request to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy requesting the following:
In relation to Ikwezi Mining Limited’s operations in Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal Province, copies of:
1. All current mining rights issued to Ikwezi Mining Limited under the Minerals and Petroleum Development Act 28 of 2002 for its Kliprand Colliery (previously called Ntendeka Colliery), Emoyeni coal beneficiation plant and Ngagane rail siding operations in Newcastle;
2. Environmental Authorisations under the National Environmental Management Act 107 of 1998;
3. Current Blasting Management Plan;
4. Current Social Labour Plan; and
5. Current Environmental Management Programme (EMPr).
Having received no response, CER submitted an PAIA Appeal on 4 October 2021 based on the DMRE’s deemed refusal.
On 19 October 2021 the CER received notice from the DMRE that the request had been granted and instructed the CER to liaise with the Regional Office to obtain the records. The CER continues to request the documents from the KZN Regional Office.
We have since received the Mining Right and the Social and Labour Plan, and continue to request the outstanding records.
For further information please email [email protected].