17 June 2012 at 9:45 pm
The Centre hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a contract as Administrator. To join our small team of environmental lawyers, we are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic person with excellent people skills and superb administrative and organisation skills, and who gets satisfaction from detail, order and efficiency. This is a position for someone who likes to be busy and at the centre of things, has a positive disposition and enjoys doing a wide variety of different tasks in support of the Centre’s larger goals of environmental rights and environmental justice.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Gross annual salary: R200 000
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A tertiary qualification (legal or environmental science qualifications would be an advantage, as would post-graduate qualifications)
- Excellent typing, written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint (proficiency in Pastel would be an advantage), and excellent skills in word processing
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage time and multi-task effectively
- Ability to identify and solve problems by developing methods or approaches to getting the work done
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrable experience in each of the skills listed above
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
We would like the administrator to be a key member of our team, providing administrative and other support to the Centre’s projects and staff, and generally ensuring that the Centre’s office runs smoothly on a daily basis. This will entail a range of activities that will include:
- Organising and taking minutes at staff and partner meetings
- Ensuring a user-friendly document filing system
- Managing the Centre’s calendar of events and meetings
- Organising the Centre’s functions and workshops (venue, quotes, invitations, speakers, etc.)
- Making travel arrangements for staff, clients and partners
- Ensuring adequate office supplies and services for the smooth running of the office
- Liaising with suppliers and service providers, and generally managing and ensuring compliance with the Centre’s operational contracts
- Liaising with clients and partners, including general telephone support and answering routine questions
- Implementing and ensuring compliance with the Centre’s financial procedures, and generally providing support to the Centre’s accountant.
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a comprehensive CV, to [email protected].
Closing date: 30 June 2012
Starting date: 1 August 2012