8 September 2010 at 4:43 pm
The Centre for Environmental Rights hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a six-month contract as staff attorney at the Centre. Closing date: 27 September 2010.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification
- A tertiary qualification in environmental law
- Admission as attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- At least two years’ post-qualification experience in High Court litigation, particularly Constitutional and administrative law (experience in environmental litigation will be an added advantage)
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- Experience in project management and leadership, preferably in the environmental sector (experience in the NGO sector will be an added advantage)
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
- Applying the Centre’s published guidelines to ensuring appropriate decisions around case selection
- Providing hands-on expert legal advice, support and representation to the Centre’s clients (other NGOs, civil society organisations, communities)
- Designing a reporting format for non-compliance with environmental legislation in consultation with authorities and stakeholders
- Managing the upload of available resources onto the Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on the CER’s website
- Providing expert input into draft environmental policies and legislation
- Training and overseeing the work of legal interns
- Innovative fundraising for the possible extension of this contract
Gross salary: R20,000 per month
Applications: To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a comprehensive CV, to [email protected].
Closing date: 27 September 2010