13 December 2012 at 10:52 pm
The Centre hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a one-year contract as Project Officer for our key Access to Information project.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification in law
- An tertiary degree in public law (preferably an LLM in environmental law)
- Experience in the use of access to information laws to access environmental information from public and private bodies, particularly in multiple jurisdictions
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- An ability to work independently, without constant supervision, and to take initiative
- Excellent writing, research and legal drafting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in document management and maintaining Excel databases
- Work experience in a legal practice or not-for-profit organisation
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
- Preparing, submitting and tracking access to information requests on behalf of the Centre’s clients, which include communities and civil society organisations.
- Providing support in access to information litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft policies and legislation on access to information.
- Providing support for the Centre’s advocacy around improved access to environmental information
- Facilitating the upload of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a comprehensive CV, to [email protected].
Closing date for applications: 28 December 2012
Preferred start date: 1 February 2013