New Vacancy at the CER: Programme Officer for our Transparency Programme
5 August 2013 at 4:23 pm
The Centre hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates for a six-month contract as Programme Officer for our key Transparency programme.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification in law;
- A tertiary degree in public law. An LLM in environmental law would be an advantage, but is not a prerequisite. Current LLM students with some work experience may also be considered;
- Experience in the use of access to information laws to access environmental information from public and private bodies, particularly in multiple jurisdictions;
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges;
- An ability to work independently, without constant supervision, and to take initiative;
- Excellent writing, research and legal drafting skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience in document management and maintaining Excel databases, and attention to detail;
- Work experience in a legal practice or not-for-profit organisation;
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs;
- A commitment to high quality client service.
- Preparing, submitting and tracking access to information requests on behalf of the Centre’s clients, which include communities and civil society organisations.
- Providing support in access to information litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing appeals, pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft policies and legislation on access to information.
- Providing support for the Centre’s advocacy around improved access to environmental information.
- Tracking new developments in environmental law in Parliament and key national departments and agencies.
- Facilitating the upload of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications: 21 August 2013
Preferred start date: 1 September 2013
All applications must include the following:
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) explaining why you think you have the right qualifications, skills and experience for the position, as advertised
- A curriculum vitae (3-5 pages), that also lists at least three references with updated contact details
- At least one written letter of reference, not more than 6 months old
- Academic transcripts for all tertiary qualifications
All applications must be emailed to [email protected], and have your name and the vacancy reference number (CER5/2013) in the email subject line. Questions about the position can also be directed to [email protected].