15 July 2013 at 2:02 pm
On Thursday, 18 July 2013 the Centre is celebrating the spirit of public service that is the legacy of Nelson Mandela by scheduling a special Mandela Day Environmental Rights Clinic. This clinic, which normally takes place on the first Friday of every month, involves having all CER attorneys available for the day to take phone calls or emails from citizens, communities and organisations who need advice on how to protect and assert their environmental rights, but cannot afford private attorneys. The clinic is a once-off engagement designed to empower clinic clients to take further steps themselves.
Below is a list of topics on which we will provide legal advice for free to to those who qualify:
- environmental rights and water
- environmental rights, pollution and waste
- environmental rights and mining
- environmental rights, biodiversity conservation and protected areas
- environmental rights and developments in general
- environmental justice in general
- access to information law, particularly involving the Promotion of Access to Information Act
The clinic runs from 10:00 to 16:00 on Thursday, 18 July 2013, including over lunchtime. Please call 021 447 1647 or email [email protected] – you can book a spot beforehand, or just call or email on the day. We can call you, and also arrange consultations by skype. We can assist clients in English, Afrikaans, Sepedi, Setswana, Sesotho and isiXhosa. And Swahili!
More information about the international Nelson Mandela Day campaign and the ethical framework for participation in this day available at www.mandeladay.com.