27 January 2013 at 9:03 pm
In early December 2012, we posted a list of all documents – mostly draft legislation – out for public comment over the festive season. Since then, a additional documents have been gazetted, most notably the long-awaited Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Amendment Bill published for comment on 28 December 2012. See below the latest list with updated deadlines for comments – extensions have inevitably been granted in a number of cases.
- National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act: List of activities which result in atmospheric emissions which have or may have a significant detrimental effect on the environment, including health, social conditions, economic conditions, ecological conditions or cultural heritage G35894, 23 November 2012: Comments by 31 January 2013
- National Environmental Management: Waste Act: Standard for assessment of waste for landfill disposal; Waste classification and management; Standard for disposal of waste to landfill: Extension of closing date, G35908, 23 November 2012: Comments were due by 21 December 2012
- National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act: Regulations: Format of Atmospheric Impact Report: Draft, G35883, 23 November 2012: Comments were due by 22 January 2013
- National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act: Declaration of small boilers as controlled emitters: Draft, G35883, 23 November 2012: Comments by 31 January 2013
- National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act: National Dust Control Regulations: Draft , G35931, 7 December 2012: Comments by 5 February 2013
- Green Paper on the National Environmental Management of the Ocean, also known as NEMO (no kidding): Comments were due by 15 January 2013
- Comment on the Draft 2nd Edition National Water Resource Strategy is still being accepted until 31 January 2013 (original deadline: 6 December 2012)
- Comment on the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Draft Amendment Bill, 2012 is due on 8 February 2013 (and not 28 January 2013 as published on www.gov.za). Also see the DMR’s website.
- National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act: Draft Regulations regarding Air Dispersion Modelling, G35981, 14 December 2012: Comments by 12 February 2013
We also await the publication for comment of the draft 2nd Edition National Air Quality Framework in early February 2013.
We provide this information bona fide on the basis of communication from the various departments – if someone’s life depends on it, we recommend that you do your own confirmation.