CER is looking for a Deputy Director
12 October 2018 at 12:18 pm
The Centre for Environmental Rights seeks to appoint a Deputy Director for the organisation.
The ideal candidate has a passion for environmental rights and justice, and –
- has an aptitude for leadership, and at least 5 years’ experience in a management role;
- has good public speaking skills, experience and confidence in dealing with the media, and strong capabilities in building support amongst a wide range of stakeholders, partners and networks;
- has experience in programme management, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- has experience in financial management, raising funds, and managing donor relationships;
- is committed to implementing diversity, inclusion, and transformation, building a value-driven institutional culture, and promoting sounds human resources management practice and staff well-being;
- has a broad knowledge and understanding of environmental laws and governance, legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making, and legal challenges; and
- is sensitive to the needs of communities impacted by environmental degradation and injustice.
The ideal candidate has an LLB or equivalent qualification, but does not have to be an admitted or practising attorney. Other qualifications or training that would be an advantage include: an LLM degree, particularly in environmental law; human resources management; and financial management.
CER is committed to diversity, inclusion and transformation. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this post, and will be preferred.
The position is based either in Cape Town, or in Johannesburg but with travel to Cape Town required on a regular basis. The closing date for applications is 14 November 2018.
Visit our Vacancies page for more details about the key responsibilities of this position, as well as details of how to apply.