Extension of closing date for applications: Legal intern 2011
1 February 2011 at 4:12 pm
The Centre for Environmental Rights wishes to employ a legal intern to work on its Exercising Environmental Rights programme in 2011, and hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a contract with the Centre commencing as soon as possible after 23 February 2011. Exact working hours will be negotiated with the successful candidate, but will allow for ongoing post-graduate study.
Gross salary: R4,000 per month
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An LLB or equivalent qualification
- Candidates must be currently enrolled or have completed an LLM in Environmental Law
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A good knowledge of recent environmental case law and recent legal developments
- An ability to work independently, without constant supervision, and to take initiative
- An ability to work effectively and creatively with limited resources
- Excellent writing and legal drafting skills
- Work experience in a legal practice or not for profit organisation, as well as experience working with communities and community organisations will be an advantage
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
Key responsibilities: The legal intern will specifically work on the Centre’s Access to Information programme, but will also generally:
- support the Executive Director and staff attorneys in the legal and administrative operations at the Centre;
- consult with and provide environmental law advice to clients;
- conduct legal research and drafting legal opinions;
- do site visits and investigations;
- report non-compliance to authorities and tracking enforcement action;
- assist the CER in preparing court applications and court actions;
- populate and maintain the CER’s website, particularly its Virtual Environmental Law Library; and
- assist with fundraising.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a short CV, to [email protected].
Closing date: 22 February 2011