Applications open for new attorney position at the Centre for Environmental Rights
26 September 2012 at 10:16 am
The Centre hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a two-year contract as Attorney, specialising in environmental law with a particular focus on the regulation of industrial and mining activities and their impacts on water resources. The position is based at the Centre’s offices in Observatory, Cape Town.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- An LLB or equivalent qualification
- A tertiary qualification in environmental, water and/or mining law
- Admission as attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Post-qualification experience in High Court litigation, particularly Constitutional and administrative law (experience in environmental litigation will be an advantage)
- A sound understanding of legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
- Providing hands-on expert legal advice, support and representation to the Centre’s clients, which include communities and civil society organisations.
- Providing support in litigation by and against the Centre’s clients, including researching, writing and filing pleadings, motions, briefs, and other court documents.
- Providing expert input into draft environmental policies and legislation on mining, water and related matters.
- Facilitating the upload of available resources onto the Centre’s Virtual Environmental Law Library and other news items on our website, Facebook and Twitter.
- Training and overseeing the work of legal interns and trainees at the Centre.
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a comprehensive CV, to [email protected].
Closing date: 18 October 2012