2 May 2011 at 11:07 pm
The Centre hereby calls for applications by suitably qualified and experienced candidates to take up a one-year contract as Legal Secretary and Office Administrator at the Centre. We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic and skilled person who cares about environmental justice and environmental rights to join our small team.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- A tertiary legal secretary diploma or similar qualification (paralegal qualifications would be an advantage)
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a legal secretary in law firm or law clinic
- Good typing, written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint (proficiency in Pastel would be an advantage)
- A sound understanding of legal terminology, legal and procedural requirements for environmental decision-making and legal challenges
- Ability to manage time and multi-task effectively, and to solve problems by developing methods or approaches to getting the work done
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to operate office equipment such as photocopy and scanning equipment
- A sensitivity to social issues and needs
- A commitment to high quality client service
- Reception and client management
- Events management and travel arrangements
- Implementing financial procedures
- Assisting with typing and preparation of documents including various legal documents and correspondence
- Ensuring the acquisition of adequate office supplies
- Providing necessary telephone assistance including, but not limited to, answering callers’ routine questions
- Maintaining attorneys’ calendars and diaries, and proactively preparing for upcoming events
- Maintaining, organising and indexing all case files for attorneys; file correspondence, pleadings and other documentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintaining information in case management system and ensuring data integrity
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Gross salary: R13,000 per month. Specific conditions are negotiable.
Starting date: As soon as possible
To apply, please send a cover letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position, as well as a comprehensive CV, to [email protected].
Closing date: 19 May 2011