January 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm
In 2010, the CER wrote a letter on behalf of eight civil society organisations (CSOs) and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to the the Task Team on Mining in Sensitive Areas, recommending the declaration of no-go areas for mines in sensitive ecosystems.
- Letter to the Minister of Mineral Resources and the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs (19 July 2010)
- Reply from the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs (18 September 2010)
In 2011, the CER wrote a letter on behalf of thirteen NGOs and CSOs to the Minister of Mineral Resources requesting the Minister to exercise her discretion in terms of section 49 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 to prohibit and restrict prospecting and mining operations in areas of critical biodiversity and critical hydrological value and sensitivity. The CER did not receive a response from the Minister of Mineral Resources.
- Letter to the Minister of Mineral Resources (1 February 2011)
- Reply from the Chamber of Mines (18 March 2011)
- Response to the Chamber of Mines (28 Mach 2011)
- Follow-up letter to the Minister of Mineral Resources (21 September 2011)