This pilot programme aims to improve the transparency, compliance, monitoring, enforcement and effectiveness of South Africa’s biodiversity, conservation and welfare laws relating to wild animals to help protect ecosystems and species for the benefit of current and future generations.
We do this through:
- legal representation and litigation, including amici curiae interventions and assistance with the institution of the criminal prosecution of offenders who violate our laws;
- reviewing the legal and practical regulation of the welfare of wild animals in SA, with a view to making recommendations for reform;
- tracking the application of biodiversity, conservation and welfare laws relating to wild animals, in particular the transparency and proper implementation of the Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS) permit system; and
- generally working to improve compliance with biodiversity laws.
In this project we work closely with other civil society organisations with similar objectives, in particular the Endangered Wildlife Trust and the Wilderness Foundation.
- National Legislation35
- International instruments4
- Provincial Legislation16
- Parliamentary Oversight1
- Key Correspondence20
- Government Documents5
Request to Mindset Mining Consultants (Pty) Ltd for a copy of its pre-feasibility study for the proposed Yzermyn in the Mabola Protected Environment
February 6, 2017
Request to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife for copies of permits and permit applications for sungazers in terms of the CITES Regulations
January 31, 2017
January 18, 2017