This pilot programme aims to improve the transparency, compliance, monitoring, enforcement and effectiveness of South Africa’s biodiversity, conservation and welfare laws relating to wild animals to help protect ecosystems and species for the benefit of current and future generations.
We do this through:
- legal representation and litigation, including amici curiae interventions and assistance with the institution of the criminal prosecution of offenders who violate our laws;
- reviewing the legal and practical regulation of the welfare of wild animals in SA, with a view to making recommendations for reform;
- tracking the application of biodiversity, conservation and welfare laws relating to wild animals, in particular the transparency and proper implementation of the Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS) permit system; and
- generally working to improve compliance with biodiversity laws.
In this project we work closely with other civil society organisations with similar objectives, in particular the Endangered Wildlife Trust and the Wilderness Foundation.
- National Legislation35
- International instruments4
- Provincial Legislation16
- Parliamentary Oversight1
- Key Correspondence23
- Government Documents5
Request to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife for copies of TOPS-related applications and permits relating to Emdoneni Lodge and Cheetah Project
March 17, 2017
Request to DWS for a list of all applications or petitions for the upliftment of suspensions of water use licences pending the outcome of appeals
March 14, 2017
March 8, 2017