The Centre employs strategies that fall into the following categories:
- Promoting Participation focuses on assisting NGOs and CBOs in effective participation in environmental licensing and other decision-making processes, particularly environmental impact assessment (EIA) processes.
- Exercising Environmental Rights entails making legal services available to communities and civil society organisations to support the assertion of environmental rights in prioritised cases, including high quality legal advice on rights and remedies available in terms of environmental law; the pre-litigious assertion of rights, negotiation and dispute resolution; effective and streamlined reporting of non-compliance to competent authorities; and institution of legal proceedings on behalf of clients, as public interest litigant and as friend of the court.
- Environmental Law Information Hub is a knowledge management, information distribution and training programme focused on collating and making available environmental legal information and resources. Features of this programme include a Virtual Environmental Law Library, made available to civil society through www.cer.org.za (the website you are looking at).
- Capacity-Building: The Centre prioritises training and capacity-building within the NGO sector through collaboration and knowledge sharing, environmental rights training, community learning sessions, workshops, reference groups and more, in partnerships with NGO stakeholders, professional associations, local universities and international institutions.
- National Legislation35
- International instruments4
- Provincial Legislation16
- Parliamentary Oversight1
- Key Correspondence23
- Government Documents5
Request to DEA for information relating to the international export of live rhinoceros from South Africa
April 13, 2017
Request to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife for copies of TOPS-related applications and permits relating to Emdoneni Lodge and Cheetah Project
March 17, 2017
Request to DWS for a list of all applications or petitions for the upliftment of suspensions of water use licences pending the outcome of appeals
March 14, 2017